At Munger, Tolles & Olson, a diverse workforce improves our ability to serve the needs of our clients and creates a more dynamic workplace for our attorneys.
As a result, diversity, equity and inclusion have always been – and continue to be – a cornerstone of our firm. The firm was founded in 1962 by a group of attorneys that included a woman. Since then, our managing partners have included two women, a woman of color, an LGBTQ man and an African-American man. We remain a leader in diversity hiring, retention and promotion, and we consistently beat national averages in the number of women and diverse lawyers in our associate and partner ranks. We also work hard to foster an inclusive environment where all of our lawyers can thrive and contribute fully and authentically to all aspects of firm life. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion efforts, click here.
Munger Tolles At A Glance
- In 2019, 26 percent of our lawyers were attorneys of color and nine percent were openly LGBTQ, far above the national average of 17 percent and 3 percent, respectively.
- In the past eight years, 60 percent of our lawyers promoted to partner were women or people of color. Women partners currently exceed 25 percent.
- We have had a female managing partner since 2009, and one of our current co-managing partners is a woman of color.
- Diverse attorneys are active in all areas of firm governance, including serving on and/or chairing important committees such as the Management, Partner Compensation and Associate Review Committees.
- We are ranked number one on The American Lawyer’s 2020 A-List, in part for our success in recruiting, retaining and promoting diverse attorneys.
- Law360 ranks us seventh for our high percentage of attorneys of color and seventh for our high percentage of equity partners of color, among firms with 101-250 attorneys.
- We received a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign’s 2020 Corporate Equality Index.
- Yale Law Women awarded us with 2020 Category Honors for our hiring practices and our diverse partnership.
- The Los Angeles County Bar Association awarded the MTO Fellows Program with the 2020 Diversity Impact Award.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee: Our Diversity Committee is chaired by Anjan Choudhury and Karen A. Lorang. This committee is comprised of attorneys at all levels of seniority and from all three of our offices. It is responsible for leading all diversity and inclusion initiatives at the firm.
Affinity Groups: Our four affinity groups – for women, attorneys of color, LGBTQ attorneys and parents – meet regularly to build community, develop programming and provide support, advice and mentorship. Members includes partners, counsel and associates, as well as people who identify with the groups and allies.
Work/Life Integration: Munger Tolles has instituted a wide range of measures designed to ease the challenges all attorneys face integrating work and personal commitments. These include: Hope Street Friends, the first law-firm sponsored child care center on the West Coast; subsidized back-up care; a reduced-hours partner track; generous parental leave policies (18 weeks of parental leave within the first year following the birth or adoption of a child, and an additional 6-8 weeks for pregnancy disability); on-ramp/off-ramp mentoring; Milk Stork shipping for nursing mothers who travel for work; and flexible work arrangements.
MTO Fellows Program: An innovative outreach program offered to 25-40 diverse, prospective law students each year. The Fellows Program includes a firm-sponsored, customized LSAT course, as well as monthly workshops providing guidance on the law school application process and tools to succeed in law school and beyond.
Pipeline Programs: Munger Tolles has been a longtime supporter of pipeline programs designed to increase diversity, such as UCLA Law Fellows and For People of Color, Inc., which help minority students attend law school, and Urban Debate Leagues, which help improve educational outcomes in secondary schools.
For more information about Munger, Tolles & Olson’s robust diversity and inclusion initiatives, please contact Shellye Pruitt, Senior Director of Attorney Development and Diversity.