Mr. Lee has extensive experience in representing private investment funds, fund sponsors and fund investment professionals in a wide range of transactions. In particular, Mr. Lee has extensive experience in:
- forming private equity funds, hedge funds, venture capital funds and hybrid funds.
- developing equity ownership and management structures for fund sponsors, including equity compensation arrangements for investment professionals.
- organizing joint ventures between fund sponsors and negotiating strategic investments by sovereign wealth funds, public pension plans and other investors in fund sponsors.
- advising private investment funds and fund sponsors on relevant securities law issues, including registration and compliance under the Investment Advisers Act.
- advising private investment funds in connection with preferred equity investments, strategic roll-ups and capital-call credit lines.
- advising fund sponsors in disputes with investors and advising fund sponsors and key investment professionals in separation arrangements.
Fund sponsors represented by Mr. Lee include Angeleno Group, Angeles Equity Partners, BDT Capital, Himalaya Capital, Nogales Investors, Oaktree Capital Management, Red Mountain Capital Partners, Rustic Canyon Management, Taiyo Pacific Partners and the Yucaipa Companies.
Mr. Lee’s practice also includes representing other clients, including public and private companies, in joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions and business matters.
In addition to his professional activities, Mr. Lee serves on the board of directors of Hope Street Friends, a downtown Los Angeles child-care center co-sponsored by Munger Tolles.
Mr. Lee is the author of Structuring the Fund: The Role of the Attorney in Fund Formation, a chapter in the book INSIDE THE MINDS: FUND FORMATION STRATEGY (2008), and the article Legal Reform in China: A Role for Nongovernmental Organizations, 25 YALE J. INT’L L. 363 (2000).
Mr. Lee speaks English, Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese.